Brave New World
Chapter 3 Study guide questions
1. What is centrifugal bumble puppy? Twenty
children were grouped in a circle round a chrome steel tower. A ball thrown up so as to land on the platform at the top of
the tower rolled down into the interior, fell on a rapidly revolving disk, was hurled through one or other of the numerous
apertures pierced in the cylindrical casing, and had to be caught.
2. Who is Polly Trotsky? She is a little girl that in away hit a boy.
3. What is Mustapha Mond's title? The resident controller of Western Europe.
4. Explain the differing opinions of Fanny and Lenina in regards to Bernard Marx? Fanny believes the Bernard is just like all of the others but Lenina sees something different
5. What is Henry Foster's drug of choice? soma
6. How does Marx feel about Foster? Bernard doesn’t like Henry, he believes him to be an arrogant blow heart.
7. How does Marx feel about the way Foster treats women? He finds Henry’s manner of treating women to be distasteful and demeaning.
8. Where does Marx wish to take Lenina on vacation? New Mexico
9. What does Mond say was the problem with democracy? He believes that democracy was to liberal and was unwilling to see the advances
10. What do the women take to give themselves an abortion (pregnancy substitute)? SYRUP OF CORPUS LUTEUM
11. Instead of going to the movies, where do they go for entertainment? The clubs
12. What did Henry Ford say history was? History is bunk.
13. Name some "forbidden books?"
the bible and poetry
14. How does Mond describe "home." a
few small rooms, stiflingly over-inhabited by a man, by a periodically teeming woman, by a rabble of boys and girls of all
ages. No air, no space; an understerilized prison; darkness, disease, and smells.
15. Why was "sleep learning" prohibited in England
in the old days? It was prohibited
because of the liberalist in Parliament.
16. What year did the Nine Years War begin? A.F. 141
17. Why is Bernard "small" according for Fanny? Because
she finds him to be a anti social.
18. Lenina says, "Ending is better than_____." mending
19.Mond says, "Government's an affair of sitting not_____." hitting
20. How many died at Golder's Green? Eight
21. How died at the British Museum
Massacre? Two thousand
22. The symbol of Christ was turned into what symbol? Fords Model T
23. What has "all of the advantages of Christianity and alcohol but none of the side effects?"
24. Who does Marx wish to kill? He wishes to kill Henry Foster.